Technology in Equestria

Chat about the geography of Equestria and the larger world here!

Technology in Equestria

Postby VividSerenity » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:55 pm

The time period of the technology varies drastically. Here's what I know:

Weapons:
-Spears
-Canons (Maybe)

Electricity:
-Hydro Electric Dam
-Arcade Games
-Lighting
-Refigerators
-The Bowling Alleys

Transportaion:
-Chariots
-Carts

Structures:
-Movie Theaters

-I'll add more when I think of some
I still retain some interest in MLP, though I've been getting into more SU-related things...
VividSerenity

Re: Technology in Equestria

Postby ninetythreedegrees » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:58 pm

They also have trains and zepplins for transportation.
ninetythreedegrees

Postby Skybrook » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:46 pm

Oh we're listing technologies. Uh...

• hydroelectric dam
  • motorized taffy puller
  • the Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
  • microphones
  • turn tables
  • Twilight's.... thing...
  • cameras
  • sewing machine
  • electric lights
  • tesla generator
  • those salon helmet things they use for perms...
  • air raid siren
  • speaker amplifiers
  • telephone... maybe?
  • the Dizzitron
Last edited by Skybrook on Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skybrook

Postby ninetythreedegrees » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:51 pm

I am also, slightly bothered by the train. It could stand to be a little less 'santa's workshop' and a little more not 'santa's workshop'
ninetythreedegrees

Postby Teru » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 pm

It isn't all that bad. If anything, I just let the train act as a way of showing that it was a different culture than ours, no matter how similar it is to ours.

That said, the way the train is made and the aesthetics of it could possibly be meant for something :P

My belief is that more or less the things which can be deadly (military) is extremely primitive in the mlp world due to the lack of violence (as we know of), and then, anything with which magic can't do, whether to oneself or to a mass group, had been developed through technology. Train, for example, helps satisfy the populace's need to have a relatively easier form of transporting oneself to another town or depot, that said, magic can allow for teleportation, but only of one pony (using the knowledge which we have so far of that field of magic) so the train is ultimately a better choice of transportation.

Also, because the trains are only used to get someplace quicker, it could be said there are cars, but considering they're ponies, they most likely prefer to walk. Evidence for this would be that the mane 6 always runs to the center of town or someplace that is the epicenter of a problem, never with an automobile, or even a chariot (In Canterlot, it is most likely that earth ponies are hired there to pull the chariots which is seen from time to time there, but that's going into sociological structures of Equestria, so unless there's a thread for that, I'll keep it to myself)furthermore, the towns are not all that big, considering the size of Ponyville or even Canterlot possibly (the only really huge city was the Crystal Empire, and only because that is the entire empire in one city).

All in all, transportation wise and military wise, technology in those fields are rather restricted or limited. Communication is an interesting thought, so far all we've seen are pony mail carriers (which can be a throwback to the Pony Express back in the Old West era) and magical letters. I would assume telephones don't exist. Another form of technology would be computers and such.

The primary use of computer (other than ponies ;) ) is to be able to digitally control something which would otherwise be impossible, in this world. In that world, magic lifts many of the restrictions which the ponies would possibly have (again, sociological part which I won't get into detail, most of you will probably know what I mean), and even more which we would have imposed on us humans. Therefore, computers most likely don't exist, unless for some really advanced technological research (doubt it, but I'm open to conspiracy theories :D )
"It's a comfort to know that through all the trials and tribulations, something good came out of the darkness."
Teru

Postby VividSerenity » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 am

I personally prefer the train design in "Over a Barrel", but the current design is alright. With the existence of magic, alot of inventions wouldn't be neccesary. They also have ships, but they're usually seen in just songs.
I still retain some interest in MLP, though I've been getting into more SU-related things...
VividSerenity

Postby Teru » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:22 am

Depending on the ships, one could then say from there that ponies have true ability to harness coal and steam power, or they could be using the winds to guide them.
"It's a comfort to know that through all the trials and tribulations, something good came out of the darkness."
Teru

Postby JustAshortStory19 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:01 am

I am amazed that they have harnessed the power of electricity yet they seem less advanced. It took us 80 years to create smartphones and uber super computers. Maybe having hooves is what is holding them back or maybe they just discovered electricity however that seems hardly the case since magic can allow them to control electricity.

Let's take the mythical world of tamriel that involves several games ranging from elder scrolls to other games. They rely on might and magic. The lore states the dwemer ( deep elves) also mistaken for dwarves built advanced machines that relied on electricity and steam combined. However the dwemer mysteriously disappeared and left their creations behind for future mer and humans to discover. Only a few people in Tamriel study the dwemer ruins and none of them attempt to reverse engineer those machines. I am still clueless as to why not. With magic they eliminated the need for a tesla coil and can build machines and devices that relied on electricity that could be powered by magic. They could build amazing machines for war and transportation with the combination of magic and electricity yet they have been living in a medevial state for well over a thousand years even though the dwemer technology was available to them early in their history.

Equestrian seems to favor magic over raw power and it baffles me. Then again living in a world where the government is based off of heirarchy with kings and queens it can be said the rulers wish for no research regarding this far more effective technology for reasons unknown. I believe there has been war, murder, assassinations, and the such in equestrian but due to the show being family orientated they can't have those things. Given that the ponies have armies there should be a reason for this. That reason being for war and protection. If there weren't any threats of war or assassins there wouldn't be any need for a militia. Then again this is a fantasy world written and imagined by people trying to sell toys.a
aye lads this site will never die. It will always be in me heart also if you want to reach me outside my heart there are ways.

Battle.net DeadlyKitten#116796
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/poniesandmonstertrucks/
JustAshortStory19

Postby VividSerenity » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:00 pm

Just saw a Helicopter in a recent Episode. Also, I remember a Party Tank.
VividSerenity

Postby Teru » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:57 am

JustAshortStory19 wrote:I am amazed that they have harnessed the power of electricity yet they seem less advanced. It took us 80 years to create smartphones and uber super computers. Maybe having hooves is what is holding them back or maybe they just discovered electricity however that seems hardly the case since magic can allow them to control electricity.

Let's take the mythical world of tamriel that involves several games ranging from elder scrolls to other games. They rely on might and magic. The lore states the dwemer ( deep elves) also mistaken for dwarves built advanced machines that relied on electricity and steam combined. However the dwemer mysteriously disappeared and left their creations behind for future mer and humans to discover. Only a few people in Tamriel study the dwemer ruins and none of them attempt to reverse engineer those machines. I am still clueless as to why not. With magic they eliminated the need for a tesla coil and can build machines and devices that relied on electricity that could be powered by magic. They could build amazing machines for war and transportation with the combination of magic and electricity yet they have been living in a medevial state for well over a thousand years even though the dwemer technology was available to them early in their history.

Equestrian seems to favor magic over raw power and it baffles me. Then again living in a world where the government is based off of heirarchy with kings and queens it can be said the rulers wish for no research regarding this far more effective technology for reasons unknown. I believe there has been war, murder, assassinations, and the such in equestrian but due to the show being family orientated they can't have those things. Given that the ponies have armies there should be a reason for this. That reason being for war and protection. If there weren't any threats of war or assassins there wouldn't be any need for a militia. Then again this is a fantasy world written and imagined by people trying to sell toys.a

Been forever since I've been on here....

How I keep seeing the world in MLP is that it's coming from a remnant of a major empire... I'm not terribly sure, but it just seems like it, after all, the Crystal Empire is only just uncovered.
Teru

Return to Worldbuilding