The Process... My Thoughts

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

The Process... My Thoughts

Postby Davidism » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:45 pm

EPIC UPDATE

The last few years has seen an explosion in fan-fiction across the internet. Not just here, and not just pony. In this rise of self-prescribed fame/attention, there have been many that have succeeded, and many that have failed. When I first made this post, all that time ago, I was a very angst-filled writer, and I enjoyed thumbing my nose at the process. I believed then—as I do now—that anyone should write, but more recently I've come to the conclusion that not all can. Most damning still, is that not all should wear their ego as a comfy hat.

As a somewhat long-time member of this forum/archive and FIMFiction, I've witnessed a huge en mass of pony fiction. Some of it is very good, and some of it is so atrocious it needs to be burned from history. The most important thing that I've learned, is the motto for one of my groups: "There is NO story without sin!"

Even the most carefully edited stories, and especially those with two or more editors is notoriously prone to have grammatical and narrative issues. Something, that no one can convince these "writers" to recognize. Many of the new writers that come along feel inadequate, feel intimidated; want to write a story, and have it reach the feature box; get picked as a feature on EqD... but fail to understand that letting their story get edited by a student, is only going to produce a student level product. Having more editors won't help. Hell, you could have a million editors, and by the time it's over, your story is ribbons; your story has no soul, and someone still forgot what it means to have a dependent clause.

I think that a lot of writers get intimidated by their peers. I think they get intimidated by the rules of grammar, and often they get overwhelmed by the pressure to come up with an idea that they can put into written form. I know that I myself have experienced a great amount of butthurt at the hands of my fellow writers, editors, and proofers; and all for naught. I came to the conclusion long ago, that I do not write for them, I don't owe them, and I more or less don't like them. I write for myself, and I do so under my own harsh set of regulations and precepts.

Not everyone is going to be a natural born writer. Thinking this is just plain idiotic, and lacking in any real grasp of how the real world works. Milton, Kipling, cummings, Eliot, King; none of them started their lives as natural born accomplished writers. None of them. So if you are feeling pressure to compete with some idealistic notion that you have to be great, and a literary master the first time around, you are going to set yourself up for a fall, and a swift and major blow to your ego.

And boy, do we writers have fragile egos!

If you want to see me withdraw into a corner for days, and sulk and brood, then one has merely to tell me that I fail at some part of the technicality of my work. It doesn't matter to the critics that I've spent countless waking hours typing away, or losing weight from the insomnia and the restlessness from wanting to tell something that literally may haunt me for weeks and months. To them, it's just a story that was either good or bad, but to me, it's a part of my life. It's a thing that I conceived and germinated, and birthed on the page, it's a part of me, and with just one word—one comment—it gets crapped on and ruined.

So then why write at all?

Because for those of us that are writers, it's simply what we do. It's an itch that we have to scratch, a mountain that we are compelled to climb, and a depth we must explore. I have gone through this, I know.

If I may—not that you have much of a choice in the matter—I am going to answer some of the questions that I've been asked about writing, and what I've learned, not-learned, and tossed aside over the near 30 years of struggle and anguish.

How Do I Write?
      I cannot simply tell you how to write. All the formulas and patterns, examples, and books on the topic will never take your hands and make them form your thoughts into a novel. Only you can do this. There are tools that you can use, sure, but they are guidelines to something you yourself must already have inside of you. You have to start with an idea, learn to see the world around you in a view that places you outside of the box, and visualize what it would be like to paint a picture of words, and make them do something else entirely.

The best advice I ever received from one of my teachers when I was in Junior High, was "Elaborate, elaborate, elaborate." He said, "I'm less interested in where the story is going, I want to experience it as if I was there."

When asked how he wrote such massive novels, Stephen King replied "One word at a time." You will never write a 600,000 word novel like The Stand if you do not begin with that first word.

Do not be afraid to fail at that first paragraph. Many of my paragraphs get deleted and scrapped because they were crap, plain and simple. And no matter how hard you try, opening lines like, "Now is the winter of our discontent..." will never be yours. Stop trying to make them. Make your own, use your own, and go with what you know.

What Do I Do If I Am Not An Expert At English and Grammar?
      Let me let you in on a secret.

No writer is an expert at grammar and punctuation, or English. If they tell you they are, then they are full of shit, and they are a liar. The complexity of the English language is so vast, and the rules that govern its usage, are so ever-changing, that no one will ever have a total grasp and understanding of it. Just look at how many different updates the Chicago Manual of Style gets.

Becoming good at grammar and punctuation will only come with practice. It's takes diligence and perseverance, and even then, that little goddamn typo will chap someone's ass enough that you get a good tongue thrashing.

If you let them, the rules and the regulations of our language will ruin your chances of ever writing anything beyond a basic "About You" in the profile section of a community message board, and this will be heralded by the thunderous applause of every Grammarian on the planet, that does not want you to succeed, but in there somewhere are the keys to help you grow into a grade-"A" writer.

Despite the onslaught of "Will Edit Your Shit" ads on FIM Fic, and probably even here, not all editors are your friends. Some just want to ride your current success and get their username in the bottom corner of your story abstract. Some want to force you to write their way, and others, many many others, don't know jack shit about editing. They will have you jumping through grammatical hoops with strict adherence to "show don't tell," and leave your story reading like a lifeless dead-pan set of perfectly structured paragraphs. And their grammar will still be wrong. Why? Because, "No story is without sin."

Over a year ago, when the ponies first stepped into the land they would now name Equestria, they had found a new home; a place where they could strive and form a united kingdom of the three tribes. Half a year later that had all changed when the draconequus took over. In his rule he had brought forth a time of pain and suffering. Not even the icy wrath of the windigos could compete with the Draconequus, because at least the cold would kill and end the ponies' torture. If his chaos was too much for a single pony, the only alternative was for them to take their own life. Yet not all hope was lost, for there were two immortal souls that had been living and watching within this land long before the ponies had ever entered it.

The above is the second paragraph of a story that has had four editors/proofreaders. And it is riddled with so many errors and bad prose that I want to stab my eyes out, and grind them into fine flour. It's also a perfect example of trying too hard to make everyone happy. The golden rule here should be, one editor. Period. Too many cooks will ruin your brew.

Literary freedoms have changed over the past centuries, and works that worked well in the past, would be tossed in the bin by editors today. Stories like The Lord of the Rings for example, would have been passed by for its sheer massive size, and in fact it was because of the editors at the publishing house, that it was even split into three volumes. Not to mention the dual running narrative in the second volume. Something that would have the bastards jumping from buildings if I were to hand in such a blatant slap to the faces of the rules.

No one is perfect. You are not perfect. Your book, magazine article, short story, hell even your last post is not perfect. It's simply your unique touch, your ticks and chimes. It took 47 scholars to assemble the final draft of the King James Bible, and in its first printing, 300 volumes were published with a typo that read... "Thou shalt commit adultery." earning those recalled prints the nick-name Wicked Bible.

Was that the fault of the typesetters, or the editors? Who knows.

How Do I Make My Plot Epic?
      "Epic" is a word that has become synonymous with "Awesome", and the two are nothing alike. Do yourself a big favor, and forget the nerd definition of what epic is, and concentrate on just making your plot coherent. Stop trying to impress me or anyone else with grand huge things in your story, and for the love of God quit using massive paragraphs. More is not better, and it certainly isn't the standard for epic. When you try to write epic, is when you get redundant, and say the same thing in more than one way, when the simplest was the best.

If you really want your plot to prove epic on some large vast and grand scale, then you have to work at it. Hard! You cannot simply sit down toss out a few explosions, some narrow escapes and expect that to pass the final test of epically epic. Great masterpieces have to have a lot of work put into them, and for some of us, it takes longer. Limit your gaps and holes, and focus on one thing at a time. Don't god-mod your own stories just because you can. Let your characters live for Christ's sake if there is no point in killing them off, and stop trying to be so pretentious with using big words from the dictionary, just because you think they will make people like you, or praise your work.

Remember what I said about trying to impress other people. Don't!

There is no purpose to a lengthy, massively worded piece, unless you yourself are a fan of verbose grandiloquence and ostentatious rhetoric.

Start with an idea, and just write the damn thing. Please, do not fancy it up on my account. I mean, Larry McMurtry won the Pulitzer Prize for his book Lonesome Dove and it read like a freshman from college wrote it. So easy and swift, with simplistic language and words. None of this massive "Epic" that everyone has a major hard-on for these days.

What Style Should I Use?
      Unfortunately you are on your own for this one. I can no more tell you what style to use than I can write it for you. Use what ever style you want to, and be free in the knowledge that even your friend the editor cannot dictate your style to you. You are free, go forth and fly.

What I can suggest are simply the styles that work. If you choose to say to hell with it, and do something different, then do it. And stop wasting my time.

I can tell you that the most popular styles are those that—first and foremost—follow the rules. Your words and your set-up, but with good, clean, punctuation and grammar. Crazy insane babble like Wulf Zendik's A Quest Among The Bewildered isn't going to always strike a chord with an editor, or a publisher. And neither are short stories for that matter. Short stories are more common in magazines and periodicals, and while they have their purpose, they don't put a lot of bread on the dinner table. Some select writers have succeeded nicely with that format, and have become lesser known celebrities in their field. But, most must eventually move past poetry and shorts to something with meat, or you'll never get a book deal.

I'm not suggesting that you have to compromise your style to sell books, but unless you want to upload to Amazon and pray that some ignorant nerd pays five dollars for your short story about how Santa Clause went insane and had anal relationships with a nun on a roller coaster, then you might have to walk in line with the regs until you can freely break them.

As for perspective. I don't give a damn what you do. For all I care, you can write in the fucking 5th person perspective and use nothing but italics throughout. But be warned, your style will majorly determine which readers will clutch for your story, or pass it by. If you care about that, then read on... but if you are like me, and don't give a fuck, then skip ahead.

I for one hate 2nd person narration. I find it ignorant, uncomfortable, and like some outside force is god-modding me through a narration that I should otherwise have some control over. I do not read them, and I detest their very existence. For me it's an easy cop-out to write in the second-person, and it's gimmicky, used expressly for putting the reader into the pants of the anon that screws Rarity every chapter of her pregnancy.

1st person perspectives are common, but still less as popular as 3rd person.

In a 1st person narrative, we the readers are bound and gagged to the main protagonist of the story for the duration. We cannot leave, we are always stuck with him/her, while they eat, while they drive, while they work, while they save the planet, and while they take a shit. We are forever trying to look over their shoulder, and we only seem to get an everlasting view of their ass, as they go about the story.

I do not like reading 1st person novels/stories, but for some damn reason I am very good at writing them. Go figure.

3rd person is the preferred method for a lot of writers, but regardless of what you write, how you choose to write is your prerogative, and my opinion shouldn't sway you one way or the other. It is your story after all.

I've always preferred the 3rd person perspective, simply because it seems as if one's possibilities are almost endless. You are not confined to just one person's thoughts, one person's primary actions, or one singular train of events.

How Do I Deal With Criticism?
      You just do.

If you are here, on the internet, and you haven't figured out that people have opinions, then you fail. You are not entitled to yours, if they are not entitled to theirs. It's that simple. And trust me, people have opinions. Oh dear God, do they have opinions.

They will love, hate, jizz, and defile your beloved work. You are never—say it with me NEVER—going to be safe from opinion, and unless you feel that you can handle it, don't submit your stuff. Every time you ask for a story to be reviewed, pass it off for someone to proof, or get opinions on it, you are painting a bull's eye on your back, and turning around. Sometimes you may get lucky, and no one will stomp the living shit out of your story. Other times you will have a gaping bloody wound where your asshole once resided, simply because you wrote something that someone else decided to rape you over with out the courtesy of using lube.

You have to man up. Or if you are a girl, then you have to butch up. I'm pretty harsh in my reviews, and I usually only call out another's work when I see that they have potential and just opted for a bullshit out, and didn't even try to be better than they are capable, or their pretentiousness is only matched by their ego. Don't try to kid me, and don't try to fool me. I know potential when I see it, and I know a good story when I read one. Even if your story is knee-deep in bad grammar, terrible plots, and horrible figures of speech; I'll know if there is still potential there, and I will reward you for your effort. If you don't even try, then I'm going to kick your ass verbally.

You have to make a decision. If you really want to do this thing. You know, that whole writing thing, then you are going to need to control your feelings. If only one person in the world likes your story, then purpose in your heart that that is all you need. If you need more than one fan, then you are fail, and you don't really want to write, you're only in it for the praise.

Writing is not about the money, the fame and it sure as shit is not about the opinions of others.

Conclusion
      If any of this has helped in any way, then fantastic. If not, then I hope at least, I've answered some of the questions that I know I've been repeatedly asked.

Also I'd like to apologize, to anyone reading this that is offended by the usage of the words "Fuck" "Shit" and "Editors Suck".

Thank you for taking part in an Aperture Science Enrichment Activity.
Last edited by Davidism on Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Davidism

Re: The Process... My Thoughts

Postby Drakomis Reign » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm

Bravo, well said. :D
"Wisdom is knowing you have no wisdom, thus you attain it."

==Disclaimer==
I am a douchebag. If you think I have issues with you, you're probably wrong. So feel free to ask questions. Otherwise, deal with it.
Drakomis Reign

Postby Coffeebean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Less skill to write in second person?

Fuck me, looks like the Ponychan Shipping Collections don't deserve those thousands of downloads or five-star ratings they've received.

Just because you dislike reading second person stories does not mean that it automatically takes less skill or effort to write them.
Coffeebean

Postby Drakomis Reign » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Coffeebean wrote:Less skill to write in second person?

Fuck me, looks like the Ponychan Shipping Collections don't deserve those thousands of downloads or five-star ratings they've received.

Just because you dislike reading second person stories does not mean that it automatically takes less skill or effort to write them.

You're stories are more catered to individuals who occasionally insert themselves in the story. So that's why it's popular on Ponychan, and probably because most of your stories are Clop material. *cough*

Also I'm immune from criticism, muahahaha!
"Wisdom is knowing you have no wisdom, thus you attain it."

==Disclaimer==
I am a douchebag. If you think I have issues with you, you're probably wrong. So feel free to ask questions. Otherwise, deal with it.
Drakomis Reign

Postby Davidism » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I for one hate 2nd person narration. I find it ignorant, uncomfortable, and like some outside force is god-modding me through a narration that I should have some control over.

I was making an implication, not an inference.

It takes some skill to write in 3rds, than 1sts. Less to write in 2nds, but I don't want you to feel bad.

My bad... I had meant to finish that sentence with "... how you choose to write is your prerogative, and my opinion shouldn't sway you."

I do not like 2nd person narratives. I stand behind my opinion. I will not read them, regardless of how good they are written, or if they are Hugo/Pulitzer winning masterpieces. If something annoys me, I stay clear of it. Much the same way, I held no animosity toward the individual that dropped my series after I changed all the Ponies into Uma-Mimi fur-less pony-girls. He didn't like that sort of anthropomorphism, and thus I couldn't force him to continue reading something he hated.

If you took offense at the implication that it takes less skill to write in 2nd person narrative, then I'm sorry that you got offended. Not that I said it. I'm sure your skills are immaculate, and that your stories are excellent in that format. Though my dislike of 2nd person perspective will prohibit me from ever reading them. And for that I feel cheated as a reader.
Davidism

Postby Coffeebean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:54 pm

Davidism wrote:
If you took offense at the implication that it takes less skill to write in 2nd person narrative, then I'm sorry that you got offended. Not that I said it.

Yes you bloody well did!

Davidism wrote:It takes some skill to write in 3rds, than 1sts. Less to write in 2nds, but I don't want you to feel bad, how you choose to write is your prerogative, and my opinion shouldn't sway you one way or the other. It is your story after all.

Seriously, are you a politician or something? :P
Coffeebean

Postby Davidism » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:12 pm

LOL...

I wasn't meaning that I didn't say it... I was saying that I wasn't sorry for saying it. I made an implication, and if I backed down from my opinion, then it just makes me fickle-headed.

In truth, part of that implication is the sheer stupification I experience when I see more and more pony fiction being written in the 2nd person. I can't recall a single instance where I've come across that perspective in a book store (though I haven't really tried to see if any were there), and it just seemed that Pony Fiction was the only place I'd seen it.

I thought... "Oh man, what if everyone in the fandom suddenly starts writing in 2nds, then I'll have nothing to read."

Of course, the skill jab was a little low. That was me being pissy, and testy. I was more trying to encourage people to utilize what I perceived as the harder perspective to write in, which is 3rd person. I see 2nd person as a very non-mainstream format that could potentially spell doom for a writer looking to market their work. I've skimmed your stuff, and you have excellent form. You write so well, that I'd venture to say that you are the only exception to the 2nds opinion. Even though I still hate that style with a passion.

You just have no idea how many times I've tried to read a 2nd person narrative done so blatantly wrong.

EXAMPLE:
It is morning. You are awake now. You're alarm has woke you from your sleep. You are a man. You know this because I tell you, you are a man. Do not look down at the floor, look up at me."

Is pretty much the sort of sap that I find in fan-fic told in 2nd person. That sucks. They failed to make a believer out of me.

But then, I also hate reading poetry as much as I hate reading 2nd person, and I am a great poet. I just can't read it. I hate reading my own poetry, and burn and toss almost as much of it as I write.
Davidism

Postby Coffeebean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm

Davidism wrote:
You just have no idea how many times I've tried to read a 2nd person narrative done so blatantly wrong.

EXAMPLE:
It is morning. You are awake now. You're alarm has woke you from your sleep. You are a man. You know this because I tell you, you are a man. Do not look down at the floor, look up at me."

Is pretty much the sort of sap that I find in fan-fic told in 2nd person. That sucks. They failed to make a believer out of me.

Ack. That just made me cringe. I can understand your opinion now!

Another example of decent second person work would be anything on Ponychan by Gentleman Creeper, Mogu or Crowley (off the top of my head) if you want to see it done properly though.
Coffeebean

Postby RBDash47 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Coffeebean's too modest to say so, but his 2nd-person stuff is great. Before reading it, I leaned toward David-ism's side of things.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby FillyInTheBlanks43 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm

"If Dreams were Pegasi" by 'Sim' was a really good 2nd person fic. He/she handled it really well... even if it was too... explicit... for my tastes. The story itself was really good, and everything was really... well thought-out. The 2nd person was subtle enough to not make you be like "I DID NOT DO THAT"
"You tell me what you saw, and I'll tell you what you missed when the ocean met the sky.
You missed when Time and Life shook hands and said good bye.
You missed when the Earth folded in on itself and said 'good luck'."
FillyInTheBlanks43

Postby SaliantSunbreeze » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:23 pm

To be honest, until fanfics I wasn't even aware that it was a THING. I'd only heard of 1st, 3rd Limited and 3rd Omnipresent. I've seen it in novels, but usually only when a 1st Person narrator (such as the character in a book) is trying to explain something to the reader.

"Okay, so imagine that you wake up one morning and you find yourself all alone... Like really alone. No birds in the trees, no cars on the road, no pets, no neighbors, nobody but you... That would be pretty freaky, huh? Well you see, that's what happened to me..."

Stuff like that.

Not saying that it's bad, I just really wasn't aware of it.
SaliantSunbreeze

Postby Coffeebean » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:32 pm

FillyInTheBlanks43 wrote:"If Dreams were Pegasi" by 'Sim' was a really good 2nd person fic. He/she handled it really well... even if it was too... explicit... for my tastes. The story itself was really good, and everything was really... well thought-out. The 2nd person was subtle enough to not make you be like "I DID NOT DO THAT"

Ah, Sim is a good friend of mine - I'll forward the praise to him next time he's online! Have you read "If Wishes Were Pegasi" as well? It's a continuation, with lots of bittersweet romance.
Coffeebean

Postby FillyInTheBlanks43 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Coffeebean wrote:Have you read "If Wishes Were Pegasi" as well? It's a continuation, with lots of bittersweet romance.

<facehoof> i feel like such a dope. I meant "If Wishes Were Pegasi" i just messed up the title, which was really dumb of me. I'm sorry for the confusion. The only one I read was "If Wishes Were Pegasi" I didn't even know "If Dreams..." existed. One of forum members here suggested "IWWP" and so I proofed it to get it on the site (we spoke to Sim in his ponychan thread for permission) and yeah... Man, i'm sorry. Don't tell him about that part >.< I don't want to offend him by getting the title of his story wrong <shakes head>

ANYWAY! Now I'm going to have to find IDWP. I hope it's as good as IWWP. Is it as... romantic... as the latter?

Oh, and also, please do pass on my compliments! for the right story, of course =)
"You tell me what you saw, and I'll tell you what you missed when the ocean met the sky.
FillyInTheBlanks43

Postby Coffeebean » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:50 am

Okay, now I'm not sure if Dreams is a thing or not... I know wishes is though, and iirc, he's working on something like chapter 17.
Coffeebean

Postby FillyInTheBlanks43 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, I'm sorry I'm dumb and messed up the title and then confused you lol.

Man, I've only read up to 11. I hope he submits it when it's all finished... <crosses hoofs>
FillyInTheBlanks43

Postby RBDash47 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:36 pm

I hope he's okay, I saw him post in his ponychan thread that he'd be taking some time off for personal issues.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby Rarity_Fan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:33 pm

Davidism....you are my new hero....that was just awesome and I gotta say...I learned a lot from it.
RariTwi fan here!
Rarity_Fan

Postby Coffeebean » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am

RBDash47 wrote:I hope he's okay, I saw him post in his ponychan thread that he'd be taking some time off for personal issues.

Yes, he's dropped off the grid somewhat - I emailed him a couple of days ago and as of this moment, I haven't heard anything back.
Coffeebean

Postby Rarity_Fan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:10 am

Anypony heard from Davidism?
RariTwi fan here!
Rarity_Fan

Postby Davidism » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:11 am

I'm always around... but just been busy at work the past few days to log in and make much commentating.
Davidism

Postby Rarity_Fan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 am

Okie dokie lokie! And as I said before this really helped me a lot thank you again!
RariTwi fan here!
Rarity_Fan

Postby Davidism » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:21 am

No problem... I'm glad to offer help where I can, though I don't have time to really proof anything, or make corrections; I can and am willing to read over material sent to me in PM for a one on one critique of anyone's work.

I can help with story flow, or character analysis, or the four rhetorical modes of discourse.
Davidism

Postby Rarity_Fan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:25 am

I may have to send something to you soon then :)
RariTwi fan here!
Rarity_Fan

Postby Ganymede » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:32 pm

I'd write a book about what you said, as I always tend to do when giving my insight on something this exorbitant, but I'll spare you all my long-windedness and simply summarize my agreement with everything instead. Because, of course, that's exactly what it all is: Agreement.

1) I've been stepped on so many times I don't care anymore. I have a freaking heart of steel. Go ahead! Tell me my story sucks! I'll just look you in the eye and say "damn straight!"
2) I never pay attention to spelling and grammar as I'm writing. That's what editors are for. And editors suck at it just as much as everyone else. Heck, I once had 6 editors rip my story apart and *still* found spelling errors when they were done.
3) I lied. I disagree with the whole "screw other people's opinions" part. That's nice if you're going to keep all your stories hidden away on your hard-drive. However, if you plan on publishing, you need to write for an audience, and you need to know whether that audience finds enjoyment in reading your story. That's not to say you should only write what they want to read. However, you shouldn't entirely disregard everything anybody else says. Write what you want to write, and then have others give constructive feedback. That's how authors grow!
Ganymede

Postby Rarity_Fan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:01 pm

Ganymede wrote:I'd write a book about what you said, as I always tend to do when giving my insight on something this exorbitant, but I'll spare you all my long-windedness and simply summarize my agreement with everything instead. Because, of course, that's exactly what it all is: Agreement.

1) I've been stepped on so many times I don't care anymore. I have a freaking heart of steel. Go ahead! Tell me my story sucks! I'll just look you in the eye and say "damn straight!"
2) I never pay attention to spelling and grammar as I'm writing. That's what editors are for. And editors suck at it just as much as everyone else. Heck, I once had 6 editors rip my story apart and *still* found spelling errors when they were done.
3) I lied. I disagree with the whole "screw other people's opinions" part. That's nice if you're going to keep all your stories hidden away on your hard-drive. However, if you plan on publishing, you need to write for an audience, and you need to know whether that audience finds enjoyment in reading your story. That's not to say you should only write what they want to read. However, you shouldn't entirely disregard everything anybody else says. Write what you want to write, and then have others give constructive feedback. That's how authors grow!

I agree with all of this!
RariTwi fan here!
Rarity_Fan

Next

Return to Writer's Corner