Police Process in Pony Noir

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Police Process in Pony Noir

Postby Chessiecat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 pm

I'm writing Starlight Over Detrot (You can take a look. It's up on EQD and Fimfiction) at:
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34706/S ... -Noir-Tale

My co-writer, CEOKasen, is having an issue with some elements of the story. We've largely excluded 'proper police procedure' because it didn't add to the narrative and brushed off the lack thereof with the same excuses Noir Detectives have used for years with the added caveat that 'these are magical ponies'. I do worry we're over-doing it though. The environment and tone of the story aren't really conducive to proper cop personalities. My main character experiences too much bizarre stuff to keep a completely sober mindset.

I'm doing my best to set up opportunities to make use of police procedure in the real world but my lack of references for how real cops think and act has been a huge impediment.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. How does a real officer think? Should I even be worried about this so long as it doesn't take much away from the narrative? Do I need to explain extensively within the story /why/ the main character doesn't behave like a typical cop?

Give it a read and then post your thoughts if you would.
Help! My story has gone insane and it's trying to kill me!
Chessiecat

Re: Police Process in Pony Noir

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:10 am

You might get around this by borrowing the concept of "Special Agents" from more authoritive regimes. The Stasi from East Germany, the KGB from the Soviet Union. These were "cops" in the respect of having broad authority to arrest, interrogate, etc. But their remit was such that they often didn't have to answer to due process, or superiors beyond reporting their findings and receiving new assignments. Obviously, you don't have to take the stifling, undemocratic "oppression" of these regimes but their freedom do as they wish, when they wish might be useful.
SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, CORPORAL!

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Chessiecat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am

You know, that's really excellent! I may actually do exactly that. The noir world I'm building is one where cops have to use their cutie-marks in their investigations so I would imagine a lot of different policing styles mean you have to really give cops a ton of rope if you want them to actually bring in results.
Chessiecat

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 am

Also, look for inspiration from the ways of old. The American Western Frontier, the early days of British policing; when sometimes, there wasn't the time - or means of communication - to get updates or information from superiors. When you're on your own, you have to think on your hooves, so to speak. Modern Due Process is a result of the increasing inter-connectivity of the modern world. Roll that back a bit (e.g. without a modern phone network and limited "magical" letter sending) and you'll quickly find anyone in any authority might spend a good amount of time out of contact with their bosses and hence, acting on their own initiative.

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Chessiecat » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:02 am

Heh, well, this story IS set about 60 years in the future from present pony times. It's as close to canon as we've been able to make it while still taking a few liberties for making it interesting. The real issue remains we don't know if the 'Crystal ponies' are going to be a 4th pony race and if they are... well, that's going to cause problems for basically all fanfic writers. Goddess, I hope they don't do that...
Chessiecat

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 am

Such is the risk with writing fanfiction for a series still on-going. Nothing is certain. My own story was derailed by Luna Eclipsed, and still hasn't recovered yet.

Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Hazencruz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:03 pm

This may be something you've already thought of, but the farther Hard-Boiled goes to solve the case (I haven't read all of Starlight over Detrot yet) the more willing he is to shrug off due process in order to get to the truth. Sort of a "line between cop and criminal" blurring sort of thing...though this may be overdone. You may be able to use this to get around ever having to really fully address what these policies actually are, and only mention them in a "generally accepted to be what police have to do" kinda way.

Jus' sayin...
A story that begs the question, "What is a God?"
Hazencruz

Return to Writer's Corner