Changling myths

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Changling myths

Postby daemosblack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:41 am

So, as was mentioned in a certain Video posted on EqD, we were told that the Changelings were based on the old mythological creatures of the same name. Since the Original Myth supposes that Changelings would replace babies with a changeling doppelganger, basically replacing the child for life - the changeling would be the only version of the person most people would ever meet - I began to wonder about a AU plot concerning the Royal Wedding. What if Cadance had always been a changeling, and was being forced to work with the hive to conquer Canterlot. Forcing her to weigh her feelings for Shining and Twilight, against her responsibilities to the hive - maybe even make Chrysalis her mother?
daemosblack

Re: Changling myths

Postby Rune Dancer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:43 am

sounds interesting... however i don't know if alot of people would get the reference unless you spelled it out for them. Try writing a chunk of it out and seeing where it goes.
A random story from the depths of my head. http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=1363 Yea I know, its a bit crappy but I'm proud Dammit!
Rune Dancer

Postby daemosblack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:29 am

I can see what you mean concerning people getting the references... so it would either have to be explained in exposition or clever foreshadowing. the Setup would be the hardest part by far.
daemosblack

Postby Rune Dancer » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am

well the setup can be along the lines of the normal opening of the royal wedding episode. Its just that you'll have to alter the key points in the story to bend the universe enough to give you some play in the story.
A random story from the depths of my head. http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=1363 Yea I know, its a bit crappy but I'm proud Dammit!
Rune Dancer

Postby daemosblack » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:07 am

Hmmmn... true... I'm just not certain if I should just somehow collapse Chrysalis and Cadence into one character somehow, or keep them seperate, as that would facilitate very different ways to progress the plot of the story. on the one hand, if they are condensed into one character it increases the internal conflict. but on the other hand keeping them seperate, but still both Changelings, might make the story slightly easier to write, I'm not sure
daemosblack

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:07 am

daemosblack wrote:Hmmmn... true... I'm just not certain if I should just somehow collapse Chrysalis and Cadence into one character somehow, or keep them seperate, as that would facilitate very different ways to progress the plot of the story. on the one hand, if they are condensed into one character it increases the internal conflict. but on the other hand keeping them seperate, but still both Changelings, might make the story slightly easier to write, I'm not sure

If you collapse them into one part, bare in mind that automatically incurs the inviolable "hatred" of all other characters if they were to learn the truth.
SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, CORPORAL!

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Hazencruz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 pm

Putting them into one Character could also create a lot of Paranoia in Equestria if it ever got out...so it might just be kept secret...a juicy government secret.
A story that begs the question, "What is a God?"
Hazencruz

Postby Chessiecat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:55 pm

It's an interesting concept. I have plans to use 'Changeling paranoia' in my story as well (though it's more a tool of political intrigue and a means of instilling fear in the masses) but I would love to hear a tale with this premise. Changelings are a nasty bunch and the collective social fear of the 'imposter you've known all your life' plays into a lot of anxiety in our civilization. Zombies and vampires are both as feared as they are for this exact reason.
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/34706/S ... -Noir-Tale
Help! My story has gone insane and it's trying to kill me!
Chessiecat

Postby AQD_Robert » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:15 pm

Queen Chrysalis: "You have it all wrong! I don't want to rule Equestria forever. I just want to save it from the return of that infernal Crystal Empire before that tyrant, Cadance destroys all of us!"
AQD_Robert

Postby Hazencruz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:42 am

AQD_Robert wrote:Queen Chrysalis: "You have it all wrong! I don't want to rule Equestria forever. I just want to save it from the return of that infernal Crystal Empire before that tyrant, Cadance destroys all of us!"

LOL
A story that begs the question, "What is a God?"
Hazencruz

Postby AQD_Robert » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

"Only When The Changeling Queen Mouth Moves...."

As Shining Armor and Cadance trot along a moonlit trail, Queen Chrysalis finds them, and attacks. Cadance defends with a Truth Spell, forcing Chrysalis to stay in her default form. In addition, she can't lie, and she can't keep her mouth shut for the next forty eight hours...

Her decimated troops are restless, and she needs to make a rousing speech to fire them up to attack Equestria again in only twenty four hours....
AQD_Robert

Return to Writer's Corner