Need Help! Short chapter syndrome

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Need Help! Short chapter syndrome

Postby JustAshortStory19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:17 pm

I'm a noob writer and was never anygood at it. Recently I have taken it more seriously, but alas. I have a terrible habit at making short chapters. I try to make a long chapter but it ends up shorter then mini-me. Look at my Sherlock Holmes Xover in my sig, and you will see what I mean.

Any tips or suggestions to fix my short chapter problem?
aye lads this site will never die. It will always be in me heart also if you want to reach me outside my heart there are ways.

Battle.net DeadlyKitten#116796
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/poniesandmonstertrucks/
JustAshortStory19

Re: Need Help! Short chapter syndrome

Postby Rune Dancer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Here's a few suggestions for ya (Trust me I've had the same problem in the past)

1. when its short, make it longer by adding more description! any image online can be better illustrated if you put a bit of omph into it and can help drastically with the curse of short chapters.
2. Don't fear being overly big. If your chapter turns to a behemoth (which does happen on occasion when folks don't realize it. Fallout: Equestria is a great illustration of this) then your editor will help you prune it down to a more acceptable level.
3. STORY BOARD!!! i cant stress how useful a story board is for forming a good story. and in your case, it'll help you tack multiple events together to form longer chapters. If you look at a chapter and its too short, start working on the next logical event of the story even if it needs to end in a cliff hanger. (which is a very useful tool as well)
4. Trust you're editor. a good editor will help you decide on whats the best course of action to improve the issues, if your editor isnt making suggestions then you need to find a new one. Editing isn't just about grammar but its also about story, mechanics, and all the other nuances that go into it.

Best thing i can tell you.
A random story from the depths of my head. http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=1363 Yea I know, its a bit crappy but I'm proud Dammit!
Rune Dancer

Postby JustAshortStory19 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 pm

Thanks a whole bunch! I like the board idea. Since this is a crime story and I plan on alot of twist and turns to mess with the readers head, this might prove to be a good tool.
aye lads this site will never die. It will always be in me heart also if you want to reach me outside my heart there are ways.

Battle.net DeadlyKitten#116796
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/poniesandmonstertrucks/
JustAshortStory19

Postby Shagbark » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 pm

I don't see any problem. I like 1000-word chapters. Like a theory, a story should be as short as it can be, but no shorter. Most of my stories are shorter than most of your chapters.
Shagbark

Return to Writer's Corner