Placing a story in canon - an anti-climax?

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Placing a story in canon - an anti-climax?

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am

I won't bother explaining much about my fic; precious few of you guys and gals will have read it but sufficed to say it's Luna-centric, and an Adventure story.

Anyhoo, it was started way back in Summer of 2011, way before Luna Eclipsed ever aired. I added a second chapter in December 2011 but it's been on hiatus since then, mostly whilst I wrestle with what to do canon-wise.

Ultimately, I figured myself a way to assimilate the story into canon (which pleased me) but I have a question to throw out there.

Does knowing a story you're reading takes place inside of an MLP Season and, thus, even if it's got twists and turns cannot obviously end in doom, ruin the overall excitement for you?

Since this story isn't a tragedy or a dark fic, it's reasonable most readers will deduce it has a reasonably happy ending. Will it prove to be anti-climactic if that story is placed such that it is obvious it runs prior to "Luna Eclipsed"?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, CORPORAL!

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Re: Placing a story in canon - an anti-climax?

Postby Shagbark » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:00 pm

If I thought a story with canon characters were going to end in doom, I'd probably stop reading.
Shagbark

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:11 pm

So if you were reading a story which followed canon, but hinted at some sort of cliffhanger ending (in the same vein as any number of MLP episodes themselves) you would stop reading?

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Rune Dancer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Corporal Fluttershy wrote:So if you were reading a story which followed canon, but hinted at some sort of cliffhanger ending (in the same vein as any number of MLP episodes themselves) you would stop reading?

I personally would probably read it. however i think a real question you should ask yourself is, can you write your story with your own brand of creativity while following the canon? While i do respect that canon is of course, the source of the inspiration of our stories, i feel that if you cant take it and spin it in your own way you lose a lot of that effect and joy in writing it, and in turn lose readers. So i would urge you to think it over a bit, are you sure you can make the story your own and give it that oomph of a original non-canon? if you can i'm happy for you and look forward to reading it. If not then I'd suggest thinking about going off canon for a while.
A random story from the depths of my head. http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=1363 Yea I know, its a bit crappy but I'm proud Dammit!
Rune Dancer

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm

It might help provide context if I add that this is a Luna-centric story in which some 5,000 words were written prior to Luna Eclipsed. I think that mentioning this will make it easier to see that it's not necessarily the sanctity of canon, rather than the simple facts it's portrayed that mean it's become necessary to explain away serious changes which would otherwise make no sense in an Alternate Universe, where the only change would be superficial (and might seem lazy).

Corporal Fluttershy

Postby Knackerman » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:37 pm

I think I get what you're saying. Fitting your story into canon might make your story too predictable and rob it of its immediacy. But I think this is only a threat if you're a mediocre writer. We're talking about a universe where time travel, shape shifters, and powerful, cosmic level magics are all canon. There are so many reset buttons available you could practically write anything you like within reason and still keep the story true to canon without much effort. Keeping the story in canon wouldn't be anti-climatic. Bad writing would be anti-climatic. Any changes you make have to be logical, believable, and make an impact that has meaning.

Don't be afraid to start from a place of canon and go into an alternate universe from there, however. Some of my favorite stories start on average days in Ponyville and then spiral out of control.
Knackerman

Postby Rune Dancer » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Knackerman wrote:I think I get what you're saying. Fitting your story into canon might make your story too predictable and rob it of its immediacy. But I think this is only a threat if you're a mediocre writer. We're talking about a universe where time travel, shape shifters, and powerful, cosmic level magics are all canon. There are so many reset buttons available you could practically write anything you like within reason and still keep the story true to canon without much effort. Keeping the story in canon wouldn't be anti-climatic. Bad writing would be anti-climatic. Any changes you make have to be logical, believable, and make an impact that has meaning.

Don't be afraid to start from a place of canon and go into an alternate universe from there, however. Some of my favorite stories start on average days in Ponyville and then spiral out of control.

very well said.
A random story from the depths of my head. http://www.ponyfictionarchive.net/viewstory.php?sid=1363 Yea I know, its a bit crappy but I'm proud Dammit!
Rune Dancer

Postby Shagbark » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Corporal Fluttershy wrote:So if you were reading a story which followed canon, but hinted at some sort of cliffhanger ending (in the same vein as any number of MLP episodes themselves) you would stop reading?

There are only 3 MLP stories that extended beyond a single show, I believe, so "any number" can be at most 3.

In the show, I know that probably Chrysalis is not going to kill and eat Celestia and the elements of harmony. If I were reading a fic and thought that was a likely outcome, I wouldn't want to read it, /if/ it were about the canon characters.

I thought Fallout:Equestria went too easy on its characters, and didn't kill/maim/doom enough of them, but that's a different type of story. It did end up killing off pretty much everypony in canon, one by one, in horrible ways, and I was okay with that in that story, for reasons I don't understand.

Maybe this is because if I read a fanfic where it seems likely that something horrible is going to happen, the odds are high that it is a rotten fanfic.
Shagbark

Postby Rune Dancer » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Shagbark wrote:
I thought Fallout:Equestria went too easy on its characters, and didn't kill/maim/doom enough of them, but that's a different type of story. It did end up killing off pretty much everypony in canon, one by one, in horrible ways, and I was okay with that in that story, for reasons I don't understand.

Maybe this is because if I read a fanfic where it seems likely that something horrible is going to happen, the odds are high that it is a rotten fanfic.

I just finished Fallout Equestria recently and honestly i don't agree with your statement. The characters in that story were brutalized, psychologically beaten, and worse. However you do make a valid point that alot of folks (Especially Americans like myself) generally don't read stories that horrible things happen or end sadly especially in the category of pony fiction. I however will contend to say that horrific action/outcomes are very often necessary to create very believable or relate able stories. This is because life outside of super fluffy fiction generally has its own batch of horrors in it. Fallout: Equestria illustrates this beautifully as do a few other stories I've read (I'll have to track them down again. Random story function FTW)

BUUUUUUUUTTTTTT! getting back on track with the topic, I feel that you can indeed have a Canon tied story but turn it into something that no body would see coming. you just gotta play with the words a bit.
Rune Dancer

Return to Writer's Corner