Fimfiction vs. PFA

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Fimfiction vs. PFA

Postby Kathairein_Puni » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:32 pm

I think I've got this figured out; fimfiction is where the writers hang out, PFA is where the lurkers lurk. I've got almost as many hits here as I do on fimfiction but not one feedback... :|
Kathairein_Puni

Re: Fimfiction vs. PFA

Postby Shagbark » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 am

First, there are a lot more users on fimfiction. Second, you get a lot more ratings on fimfiction, because ratings are simple and anonymous. I seldom rate stories here, because you've got 10 different ratings, and if I think a story only rates an 8 out of 10, I don't want to rate it because the author probably thinks it deserves 10 out of 10, and will see my username on the rating, and hate me. I only rate stories when I can give them a 10, which is seldom. The last story I gave a 10 to was "Thweet Geniuth".

fimfiction tested multi-level ratings vs. thumbs-up/thumbs-down ratings, and found that stories get something like 1.5 to 2 times as many ratings with the thumbs up/down system. That's in addition to the anonymous vs. non-anonymous issue.

Something about the user interface makes people less inclined to leave comments here. My guess is that it's because they can't see the comments listed right after the story. fimfiction shows you the comments; you don't have to click on something and go to a separate page. Seeing other comments triggers a desire to write your own comment.

There's no forum on fimfiction, so you can't discuss anything there. There's not much "hanging out", just story-reading.
Shagbark

Postby RBDash47 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:45 pm

There's a lot of ways I'd like to streamline the PFA, but I lack the programming skills to do so, and we haven't had a PHP programmer "on staff" for about a year.

Disabling anonymous comments is the only tool I have at my disposal to prevent the site's comment sections from being overrun by spambots, unfortunately.
Rainbow is best pony.
RBDash47
Site Admin

Postby Corporal Fluttershy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I'm not a fan of anonymous comments. While it can be a generalisation, anonymity + internet = douchebag.
SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE, CORPORAL!

Assistant Veterinarian (2nd. Class), Equestrian Army Princess Celestia Veterinary Corps.
Corporal Fluttershy

Postby KAMfiction » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I came for the forum
I post for the hell of it
and I stay for you all, my friends.

That's good enough for me, and I am devoted to the site.
BTW I want to say first and foremost, that if for whatever reason PFA needs assistance to keep alive on the interwebs, I would be delighted to be a part of providing that support.

With many thanks, I say that this site isn't big
it isn't the flashiest
or the coolest
or the most awesome.

BUT the people here make it what it is
20% cooler than anywhere else on the internet

(and I mean that. This is my homepage. F'rreal.)

Hugs to you all, and sorry if i haven't been around too much, busy and tired

-Kameron-
Kawaii
^_^
KAMfiction

Postby Drax99 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 am

Meh, even though I havnt gotten a comment or response to one of my posts in months, I still check in, because I love you guys. I wouldn't have made it where I am in the community as a write without the support of PFA, and I'm all loyal like that. That said, I have become a bit disappointed in the amount of feedback lately. Then again, I haven't actually finished a damn story in months either, lol. I've turned into a master of unfinished fiction. /sigh
"Darkness is not the absence of light,
But merely the inability to perceive."

AS SEEN ON THE INTERWEB!
DeviantArt
FanFicion.net
Drax99

Postby Knackerman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:52 pm

Drax99 wrote:Meh, even though I havnt gotten a comment or response to one of my posts in months, I still check in, because I love you guys. I wouldn't have made it where I am in the community as a write without the support of PFA, and I'm all loyal like that. That said, I have become a bit disappointed in the amount of feedback lately. Then again, I haven't actually finished a damn story in months either, lol. I've turned into a master of unfinished fiction. /sigh

Ditto Drax. I think things will pick up a bit again when the next season rolls out though. Both as it pertains to my writing and feedback for it.
Knackerman

Postby Shagbark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

RBDash47 wrote:Disabling anonymous comments is the only tool I have at my disposal to prevent the site's comment sections from being overrun by spambots, unfortunately.

I'm talking about ratings, not comments. And I didn't mean comments by anonymous users. Fimfiction also requires users to be logged in to leave a rating or comment. What I meant was whether the author could see who left the rating. I was under the impression that if I left a rating, the story author would get to see who made the rating. It looks like I was wrong. They see my username with the rating if I make a comment with the rating, but not if I leave just the rating.

My theory:

• The more ratings that are possible, the fewer people leave ratings. This is not a theory; this is well-established. 10 levels is too many. fimfiction tried 5, then went down to 2 in order to get more ratings. Most users will use at most 3 different ratings. If you give them 5 stars, they'll give the ratings 3, 4, and 5, a handful of 1s, and almost never a 2. Alternately, you can use analog ratings, which means you show people a horizontal bar and ask them to click somewhere along the bar. I don't know what happens then. It's rare, but a good idea.
  • If people see something they can click on, like a thumb or star icon, that icon triggers them to want to do so. That's why fimfiction and Netflix show icons, and you just click on the icons to vote. Here, you have to click on a text box, which brings up a menu, and then you scroll thru the menu and click on something. It takes about 5 times as long and requires you to think.
  • Here, the text box says "Review". On fimfiction, it says "Leave a comment". "Review" is more intimidating.
  • On fimfiction, you see all the previous comments right there on the same page where you read the story and where you write your comment. This encourages people to join in the conversation. Here, you have to click on a link to read the "reviews".
  • People are more likely to leave ratings if they can change them or take them back later, especially for incomplete fictions.
Last edited by Shagbark on Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shagbark

Postby Shagbark » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Drax99 wrote:Meh, even though I havnt gotten a comment or response to one of my posts in months, I still check in, because I love you guys. I wouldn't have made it where I am in the community as a write without the support of PFA, and I'm all loyal like that. That said, I have become a bit disappointed in the amount of feedback lately. Then again, I haven't actually finished a damn story in months either, lol. I've turned into a master of unfinished fiction. /sigh

Look! A response!

Glad I could help.
Shagbark

Return to Writer's Corner