Unusual Request

Looking for feedback, ideas, or pre-reading? Come on in!

Unusual Request

Postby Knackerman » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:39 pm

So I'm recovered enough that I can sit at the computer for more than a span of an hour without my leg throbbing with pain. As a result I'm wanting to get back into writing, but I'm having a it of a problem. When I write, I like to listen to music. It helps me kind of sequester my mind from the rest of the world and get into the meat of the story, to actually watch it play out behind my eyes. Often once I get into my writing, the music, and everything else around me really, fades away into nothingness. But I have to get to that point first, or I usually end up not writing much of anything or spending all my time editing what I've already written.

Each of my longer fics, I found myself gravitating to one particular song or another that WAS the story for me. All I had to do was listen to that song, and everything about the story, it's origins, where it was going, where it could have gone, and where it is comes to me in a rush and I become, briefly, a total master of that narrative. Usually it's just some song I happen to have been listening to at the time, but I have a problem. Because it's been a month since I first started on my current project and I'm only just now writing fresh text for it, I'm finding what I'm writing now to be disassociated with what I wrote then. There's a common thread there, I can still feel the shape of the story, but it's hard to focus.

I need a song. Something I can link with the process so I can get back to the point where the story is all that's in my head.

So I was wondering if you could help me? What I'm working on right now is an original grimdark story...perhaps the darkest I've ever written. Halloween is an important theme to the story, as are nightmares and candy, and while there's no shortage of such songs on the web, I'm having a hard time finding one that really fits...that doesn't already have a preconceived narrative attached to it. I don't want my story corrupted by other narrative threads, but at this point I'm verging on desperation. I need a song.

Any suggestions?
Knackerman

Unusual Request

Postby Umbra Scriptor » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:25 pm

I use music in a similar fashion, but it helps me keep up a certain pace for a story, not so much shape it.

Idk if these will help, but they sort of have a dark theme to them, and I generally use them about the middle of whatever I'm writing:
Chop Suey-System of a Down
Inside the Fire-Disturbed
Liberate-Disturbed
Sono morto tanto tempo fa.
Umbra Scriptor

Re: Unusual Request

Postby KAMfiction » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:47 am

Im thinking something, not just evil, but a certain dark kind of evil. Something that needs class, refinement, skill, taste.

I am talking the kind of evil that swirls a wine glass and plots the death of sherlock holmes.

Perhaps this will not work for you, but It does for me at points

Chopin

Chris Mansel

Max Richter

Mahler's Kindertotenlieider
Mahler's 7th and 9th

Tchaikovsky's Sixth.

Tchaikovsky - Sixth symphony - finale
Shostakovich - Eighth string quartet
Purcell - Dido and Aeneas - Dido's lament
Bach - Cantata, 'Ich hatte viel Bekümmerniss', BWV 21 - Aria: Bäche von gesalzen Zähren
Bach - Cantata, 'Mache dich, mein Geist, bereit', BWV 115 - Aria: Bete aber auch dabei
Sculthorpe - Memento Mori
Sibelius - Fourth symphony
Gorecki - Third symphony, 'Symphony of Sorrowful Songs'
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending

(this one I stole from a thread HERE) http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/914418

you would be suprised as to the goodness of dark classical music
Kawaii
^_^
KAMfiction

Postby Kathairein_Puni » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:46 pm

Something maybe not to play over and over again, but try listening to "The Tale of the Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot if you want to see how to set the mood for a dark, doomed story. It's a ballad of a doomed ship, and he does a great job of layering every stanza with a sense of foreboding. It might be a good example style-wise for your stories, even if it doesn't get you in your mood.
Kathairein_Puni

Postby FireBreath5150 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:22 am

If you still need a song, try Bodies by Drowning Pool.
road to dedidise is ded :p
FireBreath5150

Postby Drax99 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:22 am

Have you tried nightmare Before Christmas? Always puts me in the mood for holloween
"Darkness is not the absence of light,
But merely the inability to perceive."

AS SEEN ON THE INTERWEB!
DeviantArt
FanFicion.net
Drax99

Postby Knackerman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:55 pm

A lot of good suggestions here. Especially liked Tchaikovsky's Sixth, but I'm a sucker for classical music.

I actually ended up settling on the soundtrack for the movie Trick R Treat, however, and a few Rob Zombie tracks from Educated Horses (Saw Dust in the Blood and Death of it All mainly).

Come to think of it, that's actually kind of funny.
Knackerman

Return to Writer's Corner